Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ben Lomond Hike on the 4th

So, instead of going to the traditional 4th of July parade and having the traditional BBQ afterwards, Brian and I decided to join my SIL, Julie's, family on their hike up Ben Lomond by Ogden. Can I tell you...It was so much fun!! It was a long one (8.2 miles up, 8.2 miles down), but it was definitely worth it. Even though it was long, it was flat for a good portion of it because we followed the ridgeline. The most difficult part of the hike was the last mile or so because the snow was covering the trail and it was very rocky. But that made the view up on the top that much better!!! The pictures from the top of the mountain don't do the view justice, but I had to include them, of course. I highly recommend this hike to anyone in the area. Just make sure to bring LOTS of water and snacks. Brian learned that lesson on his mission. He served in the Ogden Spanish-speaking mission and a bunch of the missionaries did this same hike on one of their p-days. Most of the missionaries didn't know anything about the hike, how long it was, etc. and didn't bring adequate water and no food. Bri said that this last time was a much better experience!! :0) Anyway, enjoy the pics!!



We're almost to the top!!



This is the view into the town of Eden. It just on the opposite side of the mountain from Ogden. Absolutely gorgeous!


Bri and I on the top of Ben Lomond


Cooling off in the snow. It sure felt good after 7-8 miles of hiking!!


We left early enough to get to this point (I can't remember the reservoir's name) before the haze had burned off. It was an amazing sight!




Ben Lomond is right behind Bri and I in this pic.




When we were on the trail, 4 fighter jets fly right by us. They were so close. They were on their way to another town (Logan maybe?!?) for a flyby. Bri took this picture and it took us a while to figure out what was making the sound. By the time he got the camera out, they were already past us and pretty far away.


Look closely and you'll see 4 adult mountain goats and one baby.



I did have some videos of Brian sliding down on the snow and a 360 view from the top, but it's not letting me post those. I guess if you really want to see them, you'll have to come visit us at our house and we'll show them to you!! :0) This hike is definitely on the list to do again! I want to take the kids on it when they're older.

3 comments:

Jenn Whitesides said...

Looked like so much fun! I can't even remember the last time I went hiking...maybe 6 years ago, the last time I lived in Utah. The view was gorgeous and best of all, time away from kids, right?! We'll definitely have to try that hike sometime.

Tammy said...

HOw fun. What a great time. Josh and I need to go on this hike. It looks beautiful! It reminds me of a hike I did on my mission! Fun times!

Kandice said...

How fun! What a great thing to do. I love the pics, beautiful! We sure miss that out here in the mid-west.